Qoom empowers youth to make impacts with coding by providing a student-friendly web development environment, learning content through workshops and tutorials, and a supportive and inclusive community on Discord for like-minded students to help each other.
Additionally, Qoom has a unique and exclusive Creator Group for students like you to work on real web programming projects that impact Qoom products and the community.
For three months, Creators build a project to turn their ideas into reality with mentorship from the Qoom founders, Mr. Jared Lera and Ms. Kiae Seong. And better yet, this opportunity is completely free!
💻 Program Details
- Work on a project individually or in pairs
- Define a project topic and scope based on your interest and skill level, with the help of mentors during the first two weeks
- Get specific help through office hours and dedicated Discord channels
- Option to use the Qoom back-end (server-side) coding environment for advanced projects
- Present your project in front of your supportive peers at the Final Showcase
- Participate in engaging code challenges with fellow Creators in breakout rooms, with interactive tasks such as finding coding errors or solving a problem
- Be a high school or university student
- Use the Qoom Coding Space to build your project
- Attend weekly meetings to share progress and discuss with each other
- Complete weekly status reports
- Submit your project at the end of the three months, in addition to an article about what you've learned or something you want to share about your project
- Be enthusiastic about coding!
What do you get out of being a Creator?
You get to immerse yourself in a community of like-minded individuals and pursue a personal project that you may have always wanted to code! Joining the Creator Group also gives you more chances to be involved in Qoom activities and opportunities, such as being a SW Development Intern or Communications Intern. Many of the summer 2021 Interns like myself were from the Creator group.
You also get opportunities for leadership. The Creator Group meetings are led by students just like you — and you could eventually become a Creator Leader!
Candidates can be selected through various activities on the Qoom platform, including creating and sharing projects on Qoom, actively attending workshops, winning Qoom challenges at hackathons, and more.
For detailed information on how to join the Qoom Creator Group, please reference this blog post!